Thursday, November 1, 2012

On the best cupcake frosting...

Cool Whip cupcake


Ok so this might not be the prettiest cupcake in the world, but it is pretty dang good, and it's all because of the frosting.
I have to admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the normal frosting you can get at the store. I find it far too sugary and rich and thick, and I just can't eat it. THIS frosting, however, is AMAZING, and not too calorie filled either (at least compared to normal frosting). So what is this amazing frosting, you ask. Well, let me tell you: Cool Whip and Jello's instant vanilla pudding. Yep, it's as simple as that. 

Recipe:
Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding pack (I used the bigger box but I don't think it makes THAT much of a difference).
Milk
8 oz of Cool Whip
  • So start out by mixing the pudding pack with half of the milk that the box directions call for. I used a whisk and whipped it real good. 
  • Then I took the entire Cool Whip pack and slowly folded it into the mix. Don't stir or mix too hard on this one. You don't want the Cool Whip to get runny; you want it to stay fluffy.
  • Once it is properly folded, spread onto cupcake and voila! There you have it: an amazingly delicious cupcake.
  • Sprinkles are optional.


What is great about this recipe is that it is easy to customize. A couple of summers ago, I made a fruity version. Instead of using milk, I added crushed pineapple. The frosting was so sweet and tasty that way. I even added sliced strawberries to the top of each cupcake for some extra flavor. I also tried it with pureed strawberries, but I wasn't nearly as pleased with that frosting. My friends said they liked it, but it wasn't nearly as sweet as I would have liked. It might have been better with powdered sugar mixed in, but I never tried. Maybe you guys can experiment and perfect it. :)
Want to make it chocolate? Use chocolate pudding instead of vanilla. This frosting will complement any cupcake so explore your options. Although, I did actually try Angel food cake one time and it didn't work. Angel food cake is really light, and in cupcake form with frosting on top, it was really top heavy and toppled easily, so I wouldn't recommend that. Learn from my mistakes people!

So I'm obviously not the best baker, and I'm definitely not experienced, but it can be fun to play around with recipes, so if you're a beginner like me, try this frosting on for size :)



No comments:

Post a Comment